Serve with integrity. Care about those you serve. Share the love in your heart & soul.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

#199 Conscience and Selfishness - The Messiah's Handbook

Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of our selfishness.

Listen to it carefully.

This is a deep one. My guess is, that if you think about it the meaning will change. There are those who believe selfishness is probably not the best way to behave. Others would disagree. As for me the jury may still be out.

"...the honesty of your selfishness." This phrase suggests to me that there is merit to being selfish. However, it also suggests that there must be something in selfish acts that primarily contribute to the betterment of others lot in life as well as my own.

Can I honestly believe that I can do things that can be construed as selfish yet be altruistic? I must pay closer attention to the messages my conscience sends me. I don't suppose it will hurt to take the time to listen carefully and ponder the message.

I will have to revisit this thought to learn how my view changes, or if it does.

Thanks to Richard Bach, Illusions, Delacorte Press, 1977.

#199

1 comment:

Karen said...

What a beautiful tribute to your marriage; you both are blessed.

Happy Anniversary and many more to follow!