Serve with integrity. Care about those you serve. Share the love in your heart & soul.

Monday, July 23, 2007

#200 Something Special for...

Number 200.

Yesterday, July 22nd was indeed a special day. We celebrated 40 years of matrimonial togetherness. That was a very special day in Sagersville, PA. The weather was hot and humid. The oat flies were abundant. The church was not air conditioned. I wore my Army Dress Blues uniform. Maryann was stunningly beautiful in her wedding gown. A veritable vision of loveliness. She hasn't lost it either.

We raised two wonderful daughters who are carving lives for themselves and we try not to be too meddlesome. We are very proud of them.

One of the minor reasons Maryann said yes was the real possibility of world travel. After all, that is what military people do. Well she shouldn't have too much to complain about. We were married when I was stationed at Fort Gordon, GA. From there we went to Athens, GA so I could attain a Masters Degree. I then went to Viet Nam for tour #2 and she took our first daughter to Allentown, PA to be near her folks. My next duty station was back at Fort Gordon. I was selected to attend the Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, KS. Upon completion of the course I was asked to stay on as a faculty member. It was the position I held until my retirement way back when. The only place we traveled during those years was to Hawaii where she met me for a week's R&R.

Since retirement we have had opportunities to travel to France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Next year we are planning a river cruise from Paris to Normandy. So we have gotten to travel. Oh, and we have been back to Hawaii several times too.

As you might expect, I got the better part of the deal. She has been an inspiration and I don't know what I would do if she were not around to keep me on the straight and narrow path.

We make it a point to thank each other for the most minor of things that the other has done. We always say, "I love you", whenever we part company, even when going on an errand.

She has taught me much on how to be a better human being. For that I will be forever thankful.

Yeah, I got lucky the day she said, "Yes." So here's to another 40 or so.

Maryann, if and when you read this, "I love you."

#200

5 comments:

bronxbt said...

you guys are both so beautiful, so amazing and inspiring...

i can only hope there's someone out there for me, since i've obviously failed this first time around.

thank you for sharing such wonderful words jack.
i'd hug you both if i was closer.

B

Little Lamb said...

That is so sweet. 40 years is a long time with one person now-a-days. You should be very proud you both stayed with it.

You both have something special in one another. That's rare.

I, too, failed the first time around. I'm also hoping there's someone out there for me, too.

Karen said...

What a wonderful tribute to your marriage; you are both blessed.

Happy Anniversary with many more to follow!

Peter said...

You are indeed a lucky man Jack, but I'm guessing that Maryann has done rather well too.

shannon said...

I'm happy she said yes those years ago. :)

I love you both.