Serve with integrity. Care about those you serve. Share the love in your heart & soul.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

#134 Back from Manhattan

The weekend in Manhattan was a success. But, then all of my classroom weekends are a success.

I had the good fortune to have lunch with a young man who is a class member. At the age of 20, he has an amazing view of the world. We had a very nice conversation and I got around to mentioning the latest book I have read, The Law of Attraction. While not everyone will enjoy it, many will get some wisdom from it.

Upon returning to the classroom I picked up my copy and randomly turned to page 66. The following passage was highlighted by me when I read it:

The greatest gift that you could ever give another is the gift of your expectation of their success.

This statement blew me away again. It is exactly the manner in which I teach my classes. I continually repeat my faith in everyone of them being able to take and pass the real estate exams the first time. Unfortunately not all of them will join me in that expectation. But then, we all have to make choices that seem right for for us. You know the drill, there are only choices and consequences. Or is there more? I'm beginning to think there my be more. Nah, even expressing my wants is a decision that will bring consequences.

Read the book and think about it. Or not.

Love to you all.


#134

4 comments:

bronxbt said...

i love this post, jack.

thank you.

i have a close friend who's working her way up the ranks of our company. we support each other by talking about the day's events (which can be so stressful during this company merger!) and it's SO impressive to see her grow and be recognized for her achievements at the office.

she's learning to find her way, meet the expectations of those above her, and i'll be damned if she doesn't DO these things simply by being herself. leading by example. being accountable for her actions.

your words, and her actions all are factors of inspiration to me.

jes' wanted to thank you, and in effect, thank her.

welcome home...
B

Jack K. said...

You are welcome.

With you to guide her she will go far.

Polly said...

There was a study done many years ago. New teachers were introduced into a school and directed to their classroom with a short explanation of what they could expect.
"This class is full of stupid children."
"This other class is full of brilliant children".

Of course it was the opposite.
The first teacher said they were impossible to teach! The second said how much they soaked up everything they were taught.

So the expectation of the teacher influenced how they taught and what they expected the children to be like.

So, Jack, this is a very very true post. I have always expected children to be the most interesting people out there and they are.
Alas my expectations of what 'friendship' meant was ( as you know) dashed upong the rocks of experience.
How do I get it back?

Karen said...

I'll have to read it; thx for the tip! :o)