Serve with integrity. Care about those you serve. Share the love in your heart & soul.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

#121 The Bond That Links - The Messiah's Handbook


The bond that links your true family is not one of blood,
but of respect and joy in each other's life.

Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.


Earlier this month a blogging friend posted about the question "to Blog or Not to Blog?" Having given some thought to that question, and feeling rather dry for topics to post about, I turned to my deck of Messiah's Handbook cards and sought inspiration for a topic. Eureka. I found one. This statement has meant a lot to me in my spiritual growth, for I have crossed the path of a number of folks who I can consider family members. Many of them have been a personal, face-to-face meeting. I am meeting others through this particular medium. Many of them I have linked at this site. Some of them have asked not to be linked in such a fashion and I respect that.

Think about the numbers of people with whom you have made contact throughout your life. How many of them have brought you joy, even when they are going through some particularly tough times. You might well ask, "How can I find joy in the misery of others?" Easy, they have thought enough of you to share their predicament for whatever support you are willing to provide. That doesn't mean you do not feel empathy for them and their situation. On the contrary, you are there for them in whatever capacity you can be.

If there is some veracity to this idea, what does that say about your blood family? It may mean that you have some interesting issues to work on with them. Or, it may mean that you agreed to be together in a place where you can fulfill you missions much easier. You may have agreed to support each other by providing situations wherein you can learn from the other. I think that is what is happening in my life. I am indebted to my blood family, even when I disagree with some of their views of the world. I am coming to the conclusion that they will do what is appropriate for them in the fulfillment of their individual life goals. I have nothing to say about that. I can adopt the perspective that what they are doing is important to them.

Having said that, I need to review just how I respond to my "blood family." Some of them tend to operate from a very negative perspective. I usually try not to spend too much time in their presence. Negativity can drag you down very quickly. The influence of cultural imperatives to spend time with your family is something to be considered. (For those of my family who might read this, you know I am not referring to you.)

It has taken a little time to finish this posting. The initial comments were started earlier today. It is now after dinner and a couple of Black Russians, so I can only hope that some of this makes sense. If not, that's how it goes.

Thanks to Richard Bach, Illusions, Delacorte Press, 1977.

#121

2 comments:

Bird said...

ah - the cultural imperative to be with family....

sometimes - a joy, sometimes a nusiance. i want to appreciate mine for who they are - their attritutes - but sometimes .. the flaws drive me mad. i ignore the flaws as much as i can and try to hold to the positive. i am not always successful.

Polly said...

I have finally taken your idea of not visiting with 'blood family' that are negative.
I feel better already and it has only been in operation since sept last year.

I hope it is ok I consider you a part of family.
You know me too well for you not to be and I care about you too much for you not to be part of my family.

See?
I can accept some things like this Jack, and even that it is my decision to do it.
Wow!