Serve with integrity. Care about those you serve. Share the love in your heart & soul.

Friday, January 26, 2007

#86 Hangman's Story

This posting is inspired by Hale's posting The Adventures of Hangman. I immediately thought of an incident where I played and lost to an eight year old French girl.

It happened about 10 years ago. Maryann and I were visiting our friends in Dijon, France. Their daughter asked if I wanted to play Hangman. I agreed. How could I go wrong? I'm a college graduate. She was in grammar school, or its equivalent. The fact that she didn't speak English and I didn't speak French were not a deterrent. (Her parents are quite fluent in both languages.) Things were going along quite well until her father began to aid her. She finally stumped me with the word Chechnya. They used the French spelling which included T's and Z's. I immediately ceded the game and we all had a great laugh over it.

It is one of my many fond memories of visits with that family. They are a part of our family for sure. With a little luck some of them may visit us this Spring.


(Today that young lady is studying to become a midwife, an honorable profession. We are quite proud of her.)


#86

5 comments:

Karen said...

What a *warm fuzzy* story, love it!

shannon said...

I can hardly believe she is old enough to be studying to be a midwife! She is one of those people who will always be 10 in my mind.

I can hardly believe we've had them in our family for so long! Seems just like yesterday.

Hale McKay said...

Aw, nice story, Jack. And my Hangman story brought it to mind? I'm glad I posted it - because I was rewarded with your story.

Jack K. said...

Hale, 'm glad you posted it too, and almost for the same reason--I had it to post and share.

You are welcome and a big thanks back to you.

Anonymous said...

She must have been beaming to have won playing against an adult... ;-)

Very good for her self-esteem. ;-) maybe not yours but hers... BRAVO!