Serve with integrity. Care about those you serve. Share the love in your heart & soul.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

#48 Another view of Jane

Jane grew up in a family where she had to develop skills to protect herself at an early age. Consequently she decided that the best defense is a good offense. The least perceived slight can, and usually does, trigger an attack. She has become wary of others. When my first wife met the family for the first time, she was indoctrinated quickly. Not with a personal attack, but an example of what can happen when things don't go according to Jane.

We were visiting the family at Ft. Riley, KS where John was stationed. Mom asked us to accompany her to Junction City to see if an order had come in at one of the local stores. We stood back while mom interacted with the clerk. I realized all too quickly that things were not going too well. At that moment, my defensive mechanisms kicked in and I led my wife to a different part of the store. The store was small enough for us to gain the full effect of the interaction, but not be seen as part of it. (I know, that can be seen as a coward's way out. But, it had always been effective and still was.) Mom proceeded to let the clerk, and at least half of the county know that she was displeased. btw, her language can be quite salty, to say the least.

Now to get to the reasons that I believe led her to this mode. As previously stated, her mother did not treat her well. There was no physical abuse only psychological abuse. At least that is what we would call it today. Heap on top of that, the most important man in her life, her father, died early. I think he passed on while Jane was still a young teenager. From that point on many of the other men who were important to her also abandoned her. My biological father was one of them. There were other men who did much the same. Even Karl whose name I carry left her for another woman. Jane and Karl did not have that happy a marriage. Infidelity didn't make it any easier.

Jane tends to blame other for her misfortunes. (In spite of all of this, she does have an excellent sense of humor.) There will be other postings to look at them.

Using the term weird when explaining her is using her term. She uses it when discussing the adoption of her name for herself with her grandchildren. We do use it quite affectionately. She can also schmooze with the best of them. However, most of it is done in the effort to maintain control.

This is enough for now. More later.

#48

9 comments:

bronxbt said...

you mention in a reply to a comment in your last post that this is self-serving...

i'm likely wrong but THAT feels like it was written almost apologetically. don't be. you do what you need to in written or subconsciously to learn from all these experiences in your past.

i'm honored you're enough of an educator and a believer in sharing that you DO bring these stories to life.

thank you jack

B

Karen said...

It's good you can write about it. And, I'm glad I found you on this ole big world wide web because you have enriched my life. :~)

Jack K. said...

You both are kind and have enriched my life too.

Thanks for checking in from time to time.

Adrianne said...

Dad, whether you realize it or not, Grandma Sam has had a very large impact on my life. All of it in a very good way. This helps to explain a lot though.

Live fully....especially with a crazy family....

Peter said...

People who are not "easy to live with" often don't understand why they keep having "bad luck" jack, it sounds like Jane may be one such.

Polly said...

You said ;"Only psychological abuse". I always shudder where I hear that. All abuse is bad and one is no more potent than the other.

It would be so interesting to have sat with Jane and heard her story from her point of view over a long period of time. Even if she had written it down it would have been quite a learning journey.

Love the way you write and talk about your mum...you paint pictures of her with incidences.
You are so good at this.
More please...
And...
Merry Christmas if I don't get to the computer again ( what with all the children home how will I??)

Jack K. said...

Adrianne, I am glad to learn that it has been a positivie experience for you. She isn't always easy on others. I guess that may be an indication that she isn't always easy on herself. It may be easier to take it out on others.

Peter, you have discovered what I am trying to relate. That is feedback that is quite helpful.

Peaches, arrgh. Your comment made me shudder in the same way, but about my calloused use of the term only psychologcal abuse. I should know better. I have had a modicum of psychological studies. That's what happens when one write's stream of consciousness and doesn't proof carefully.

Enjoy your time with family! All of you.

bronxbt said...

merry christmas jack & fam.

now, please help me to help a dear friend.

goto fuzziechadsrule when you can.

hugs & my very best,
Bronxbt

Jack K. said...

-b, done.